The 170-hour EMT program prepares students to take the state examinations for emergency medical technician certification in Connecticut. This course exceeds the 2009 US Department of Transportation (DOT) EMT Educational Standards.
The EMT Course has two components:
- Didactic: Through lectures, interactive presentations, skills labs, and simulations, you will build the knowledge and skills to care for patients.
- Clinical/Field Ride-Along: As a student you must complete observation rotations under the supervision of experienced Stamford EMS professionals.
To be eligible for enrollment, you do not need to have any previous medical experience. You must be at least 18 years of age prior to the end of the program.
In addition to meeting the student eligibility requirements, you are required to submit copies of the following:
- Physical: Verification that you have no physical limitations for participating in the classroom and clinical components of the course.
- Proof of Hepatitis-B vaccine, 3 shot series, positive Hep-B titer, OR signed refusal form.
- Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR): Proof of MMR vaccine or a positive MMR titer.
- Tuberculosis: A negative TB skin test within three months of the beginning of the course. If you had a positive reaction to a previous skin test, please submit documentation of a negative chest x-ray.
- Varicella: A varicella vaccination (or proof of immunization or a positive varicella titer).
- Copy of health insurance card. You must maintain private health insurance or worker’s compensation insurance for the clinical/ride-along portion of the program, and furnish proof of insurance. You are responsible for all payment for medical care related to exposure/injuries/illnesses.
Required Textbook (Provided): Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured, 10th Edition, by AAOS.
Recommended Workbook (Optional): The Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured Workbook is available for purchase separately through http://www.jblearning.com/catalog/9781284131062/
Internet Access: Access to our course companion website will be distributed on the first day of class. Reliable internet access is required as this will allow you easy access to the course companion web site, grades, on-line office hours, and much more.
Class Attire: Class uniform will be worn at all times while participating in class and rotations, and will consist of the provided SEMS Academy polo shirt, dark blue pants and black closed-toe shoes.
With every program we expect our students to commit themselves to success by studying, participating in class discussions, approaching faculty or staff members concerning extra help or problems encountered in the program, and being prepared for class on a daily basis. In return, you can expect that our faculty will commit to listen to your needs as a learner, that we will develop quality educational programs, study tips, and classroom presentations, and assist you in becoming successful in our course.
The EMT course is a fast-paced and demanding challenge. It typically requires you to do additional studying outside of the classroom while in the course.
2017 Spring EMT Program
WE WILL BE ANNOUNCING CLASS DATES SOON!
Stamford EMS – 684 Long Ridge Road
Mondays and Wednesdays
7 PM-10:30 PM
One Saturday / Month (Dates TBD)
8 AM-4 PM
Payment must be included to reserve a seat.
An optional 3-installment payment plan* is available to spread the cost over the duration of the course. You must make the minimum deposit of $375 to reserve your seat in the class.
Any student carrying a balance at the end of the program will not be eligible for certification testing or graduation until the balance is paid in full.
* There is a $50 administrative fee to participate in the payment plan, which is included in the three payments of $375.
Cancellation or changing enrollment in class five or less days prior to class or after the second class meeting will result in a $50 administrative fee being charged.
Withdrawing from the program after the completion of the second class meeting will result in forfeiture of the tuition fee.